Thomas Markle said today he hopes to see his grandkids in the future – despite a strained relationship with his pregnant daughter.
Meghan Markle, 39, and her father are estranged, with a letter she sent to him at the centre of a recent newspaper privacy row.
She and husband Prince Harry, 36, announced on Valentine’s Day they are expecting a second child together who will be a younger sibling for one-year-old Archie.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex shared a picture of themselves under a tree while Meghan cradles a baby bump.
The announcement prompted Thomas, 71, to tell CBS TV’s Inside Edition that he hopes to meet his grandchildren.
Got a story? Email [email protected]
He said: “I wish Meghan and Harry a successful, healthy birth and I hope some day I get to see my grandchildren.”
Thomas spoke from his home in Rosarito, Mexico, for the first time since the couple broke their happy news on Sunday.
The father is yet to meet Archie or Prince Harry – despite living 250 miles from the Sussex’s £11million mansion in California.
Meghan has not spoken to Thomas since before her marriage to Prince Harry in May 2018.
She won a privacy case at the High Court last week after a British newspaper reprinted extracts of a letter she sent to Mr Markle.
Thomas had promised to give evidence against his daughter and said he was “disappointed” with the verdict after Meghan won without the need for a trial.
And just days after the court victory, Meghan and Harry revealed they were expecting their second baby.
Their spokesman said: “The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are overjoyed to be expecting their second child.”
The baby news also comes just months after Meghan bravely revealed she had suffered a miscarriage in July.
It was disclosed this week that the Sussexes will appear on US television next month in an exclusive chat with Oprah Winfrey.
Oprah With Meghan and Harry: A CBS Primetime Special will air on March 7 and reportedly cover a wide range of issues.
Meghan is expected to chat to the legendary host without her husband before Harry joins for the latter part.
The interview will be the first televised one since the couple’s engagement in 2017.
Senior royals are said to have voiced deep concern over Prince Harry’s “new found direction”.
But they are understood to have “no plans to try and stop him or Meghan” taking part in the interview.